June 15, 2024

How to File a Complaint against a Financial Advisor

Filing a complaint when you’ve been wronged by a financial advisor you trusted can be overwhelming and even aggravating since you’ve likely lost out substantially due to their misconduct.

Fortunately, when you enlist the help of a highly trained FINRA arbitration attorney, you’ll be able to fight for the justice you deserve without the inconvenience of complex litigation. Below, we go into further detail about what a FINRA arbitration claim is, when you can file one, and what to expect when you file a complaint against a financial advisor.

Filing a FINRA Arbitration Claim

The Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) is responsible for handling the misconduct of stockbrokers, financial advisors, financial planning institutions, and brokerage firms, among other important responsibilities. FINRA offers arbitration opportunities for those who have suffered stock losses and need to save time and money by avoiding going to court.

There are a couple of ways you can initiate a FINRA arbitration claim. First, you can go online and file your Statement of Claim through the DR Portal. Alternatively, you can also go down to FINRA’s Office of Dispute Resolution at the following address:

One Liberty Plaza

165 Broadway

27th Floor

New York City, New York, 10006

What to Expect from a FINRA Claim

After you have been granted a FINRA arbitration hearing, you and your attorney will head into the hearing and present your case to a three-member arbitration panel. We will provide any financial statements and other documentation that demonstrates financial advisor misconduct, and they will then attempt to refute our claims to the best of their ability.

It is important to note that your FINRA arbitration decision is not able to be appealed and could take more than a year to be issued. However, with this in mind, you can trust that your attorney will only advise FINRA arbitration if it is in your best interests to do so.

Contact an Experienced FINRA Arbitration Attorney

If you have suffered a stock loss and your financial advisor’s misconduct is the cause, you can work to hold them accountable and recover your loss by working with a highly trained FINRA arbitration lawyer at Meissner Associates.

We start reviewing the details of your loss when you come in for a confidential claim review. You can submit the secure, online contact form below or give our firim a call at 212-764-3100.